Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Backstory



Back in 2002, after only 15 short years of life, I had reached the lowest and darkest of points in my teenage years and life overall. Desperate and out of options, my parents gave me the ultimatum of military school or a mission trip. Ha, yes, of course I chose the trip.

The miracles to follow within that summer saved my life. As soon as I set foot on African soil, I was embraced with open arms and so deeply cared for by strangers who, in our eyes, had next to nothing to give. It was in their love that I first found God.

Contrary to popular belief, God resides there in His most beautiful and tangible form. His presence is undeniable.

His modern day miracles unfold on an hourly basis.

In their song and dance erupts unfathomable joy. Prayer is on the lips of all. It shakes the ground beneath you and takes your breath away.

There, in midst of their tragedy and grief, you never hear them curse God. They only offer up praise.

Never have you encountered such positivity and optimism. Their eyes glow and their smiles light up a room. It's stunning and absolutely contagious.

There, unconditional love is often spoken in action.

They fight the daily battle of never-ending perseverance. Their battles are always fought with prayer and praise.

To even those who are least deserving is forgiveness extended 70 times 7.

You will more often than not meet cheerful and selfless givers, who give from their heart and continue to pour out long after there's none left to give.

Time is not money nor of the essence. It was in life lived slowly that I was shown what it is to cherish each breath and be in each moment.

Their richness lies in common wealth of life, love and relationships...and far exceeds incomparably what we know and practice of it.

They know what matters in the end.

I credit who I am today to my Savior and to my family across this glorious continent. It is my privilege and honor to be welcomed to their homes and to serve them. I was ignorant to ever go to Africa thinking I could save or extend my hand down to them...that they needed "saving". To this day, I fear where I'd be had I not gone there. God has made it clear that these friends are whom my life is to be spent serving and I couldn't be more excited for what my future holds. I am forever indebted to Him and to them.

To be continued.......

No comments:

Help Rachel In Rwanda!