So I am writing you from Ilea's back porch that overlooks Kigali.
The rainy season is slowly starting; I am convinced there's nothing more magical than the rain in the Africa. The smell, the storms clouds rolling in, the wind, the lightning and thunder...as I type this, the biggest and most beautiful thunderstorm wages around me.I don't know if its in my imagination but I feel when I look out on this land of, literally, a thousand hills, it seems to instantly turn green as it drinks up the rain. I wish you could be here to see it.
I began salon research and surveying a few weeks ago now...and wow...I could write another undesirably long entry about it but its been the absolute most encouraging, fun, incredible, wonderful, successful, and the several thousands of adjectives alike, experience I could have hoped for!!! I feel like I am having this out-of-body experience because I've dreamt for so long about it and to finally be sitting down face to face with all these Rwandese stylists is surreal. I love hearing them pour out their ideas, wants, needs and hearts for their careers, their industry, their lives, the lives of their fellow stylists, their country, their pasts, their futures, you name it. It's also amazing to see their genuine love for taking care and beautifying their fellow Rwandans but definite frustration from lack of knowledge and resources.
The vast amount of stylists and saloons here is overwhelming; though its a very loved, very wealthy industry its also a struggling one. The jest of my days has been going salon to salon, meeting stylists and surveying. In talking about the school, every single stylist and salon owner I've talked to has loved the idea. I thought it'd be complicated visiting busy and over booked salons, their willingness/ availability to sit down with me, etc., but none of these logistics have been a problem, as I was sure they would be.
After a lot of listening and learning, Jared and I have also come up with how we're going to go about hiring teachers for the school. We then begin pitching the idea to these same stylists, and getting their input. Though they love it and it fits right into this culture, it will sound absurd to you, like it did to me. I've come to see and trust though that it has been a brilliant plan. Image, recognition and money are three main factors of incentive and motivation here for any Rwandan, in any job but especially this industry. Thus, next year, we're putting on the first nationwide contest to find Rwanda's top 10 stylists. These stylists will go through an intense and competitive process to not only win these cash prizes but will in turn will be hired as our teachers at KEZA Beauty School - what will be the nation's most prestige beauty school. There's several more details I could overwhelm you with but that's the jest for now. I imagined doing something like this in the states and how many holes there'd be to that but here, you'd think you were bringing the lottery to Rwanda. Already in my visits to salons, I gotten the most enthusiastic, grateful response and so many stylists are providing me with all the information of what I need based on the industry and even planning meetings for me. I've been trying my best to make it about them because it is -- our shared dream is not only to have this school first and foremost for these women but to bring up this country as a whole!
With all this in the planning stages now and once I get home, I plan to return here in the late winter/early spring with a team of stylists to facilitate these contests and begin the initial training for these new teachers. Once we hire and decide on literally the best stylists, for the following 10 months to one year we will have them on an intense training schedule in a temporary/local facility while the main school is constructed. Surprisingly, facilities are affordable and perfect for what we're doing, thus, that's now the least of my worries now, where in the beginning was what I was most stressed out about. Funding that comes between when I am home and when I come back will be the primary factor in how soon this all happens.
Its amazing to see all these ideas that I had in my mind, matching with the ideas of these Rwandese stylists...as well as these ideas being kind of morphed and stirred to what He has in mind...not to mention what works here in this culture that I would have never known had I not come here. Needless to say my time here has been more than worth it already.
I've been waiting to write the following part for sometime now because of these next couple paragraphs. Though it hasn't been a "secret", I've definitely wanted to wait before I shared it...
Though its been an indescribable, life stirring past few weeks its also been full of a lot of warfare within my own heart and specifically within our organization. Though these happenings have been so difficult, they've been amazing too; an absolute blessing and growing experience, placed in what I believe has been God's perfect timing. I know that sounds like the "right" thing to say but its sincerely how I feel about it and the way I want to preface it. I wrote some of this in my own words but also used some of Ilea's explanation of the situation as she an amazing communicator so know what you're reading is a bit of both of us...
Many of you have heard the story of how Sisters of Rwanda began. This amazing movement began a little over two years ago. It started with Joseph, a Kenyan pastor, who's heart was for the sex slaves and prostitutes on the streets of Kenya and Rwanda. He would walk those areas late at night where these women were forced to solicit, posing as a potential client. He'd go as far as to ask them their prices and when they'd answer, he'd reply, "You are worth far more than that. I come with a different kind of love, the love of Jesus Christ. You are his daughter, his treasure and this is not what He made you for. I want to help you get off the streets if this is not what you want" As a result, Joseph helped many of these women get better jobs and out of the abusive situations they were living in. Jared [my boss and the executive director], met Joseph on one of his first trips here. He was amazed when he heard about Joseph and as their friendship grew, together they built this organization and it has grown and thrived ever since. The women adore Joseph and confide in him. Jared considers Joseph his brother and vice versa. Maggie, who also worked with Joseph, signed on then as our general manager, translator, house mother, etc. Jared, while trying to run this organization and barely able to live himself, took on a second job, solely to pay for Joseph and Maggie's salaries because he believed in both of them deeply. Jared had been in the US since the end of May fundraising and laying the foundation for our organization to become a whole new entity, with a new name, a new vision and a new identity [details on the changes soon to come]....
...In short, our new name is KEZA which means beautiful or attractive in Kinyarwanda (Rwanda's local language). As KEZA we will continue to serve women entrapped in prostitution, and we will continue to build a business that will serve them and provide opportunities. Though our name and our vision will change, the women and our programs that serve them will not; we will continue to better serve them and their needs. Jared's months in the US were incredible and resulted in some major breakthrough for our small unknown organization. He met with a lot of people in high places who love the vision and are helping us become who we need to become to serve our women best.
Jared met with our PR lady back in the states who has connections to all the A-list designers and department stores who will eventually be selling the KEZA beads for us. We've had a few celebrities wear them at events and Interbrand, the largest and most reputable marketing/branding agency in the U.S. has signed on to brand us, probono, all from our image, marketing, website, to our jewelry, etc. Needless to say, God has been/is blessing and blowing up things in the states like CRAZY!!! All these amazing things were in motion right about the time I showed up end of July. I met a graceful but stressed out Ilea, running everything single handedly. At that point she knew something was not and has not been right among the women and especially Joseph (Pastor) and Maggie (General Manager) for sometime but she couldn't pin point it...Ilea shared these concerns with me a day or two after I arrived and told me she and Jared had been praying that God would shed light in the dark places; anywhere from within herself to within the organization and so on.
Only a few days after that conversation was Ilea alerted to the fact that Joseph and Maggie were engaged in theft from the organization and fraud. She began a quiet and thorough investigation on Joseph and Maggie, to know for certain that this was in fact the case. We were all devastated to learn that all of the allegations and then some are true. They have been stealing from the organization for over a year now, amongst other things including receiving funds from outside donors in the name of SOR and keeping it for themselves. We first learned of it from our women who came to me secretly because supplies were blatantly being stolen from our training facility. We learned also that Joseph and Maggie had started another project using these materials. As Ilea's research continued, she found they were slandering Jared's name and plotting to "steal" the women as well. For months they'd been telling the women lies about Jared and Ilea in an effort to turn the women against them. A lot of concrete evidence was collected before llea and Jared finally stepped in and confronted them nearly a month ago now. They asked them to leave quietly in order to protect the women, yet for these last few weeks its been anything but quiet. In retaliation to being fired, Joseph and Maggie have continually harassed and threatened the women, as well as preached from the pulpit countless words of slander against the organization, reported lie after lie to the local newspaper about us and repeatedly trespassed onto our training facility to disturb the women more. They have dragged others into it who didn't need to be involved, and are trying to get Jared and Ilea deported [but thankfully they have zero grounds and zero power to do so]. They have also kicked women out of the church because they continue to come work with us. I've watched Jared and Ilea continually and diligently pray and fast over this situation and only with supernatural wisdom from Him, go about this in the best and most honorable way they possibly can. They have reported this to all the necessary Rwandan Authorities. Jared went straight to the top with a full report on the allegations and an investigation by local authorities has been started by the heads of the police and criminal investigation departments. They also hired a lawyer and are dissolving Sisters of Rwanda as an entity here in Rwanda as well as in the US…and have begun the process of registering the new organization's name, KEZA.
Throughout this ordeal, I've only been a mere bystander and supporting role to Jared and Ilea. With the weight and heartache of this situation that I have endured, I can only imagine what they must be dealing with. Day after day they're carrying on, yet are so real and strong in midst of their utter exhaustion. Everyday since the confrontation, Joseph or Maggie continue to take it to the next level of extreme, always striving to do the next ridiculous thing, claiming they'll "win", that they own SOR, its donors and all the women. It sounds as pathetic as it is and though we'd like to ignore them, again, they're going all out.
Recently, Jared and Joseph have separately been called in on continuous interviews with the investigators and I feel like each time the tension heightens. Your prayers in this would be much appreciated...Again...I cannot put to words how impressed I've been working alongside Jared and Ilea, not only in this situation but in general. The humility, wisdom and integrity they've exemplified at every turn and the way they've still loved and taken care of me and Winter with such selfless love has blown my mind. By far, they are two of the best people I've ever worked for in my life! Most of all, the women have also been so unbelievable through all of this. Though its obvious their hearts are breaking over this situation, they have asked all the right questions and when threatened have stood up for what they believe is truth. They continue to come to work despite being threatened, slandered and humiliated by their Pastor of 3 years. They continue to ask us questions, and we as an organization / family have been unified, strengthened and learned so much in the last couple of weeks. It's been the biggest blessing...despite how awful all of this has been, too.
Please don't misinterpret this or take it as a means that this has been a negative experience. I also ask that you not try to play telephone whereas the details can get distorted. Honestly, I am so happy its happening now instead of later now that the bad has been weeded out. The way I've seen God's faithfulness again in this has been extraordinary and again your prayers for the women, Jared and Ilea would be so awesome!
My relationships with these amazing women continue to grow each day and I can now make myself instantly tear up when I think about having to leave them. I wish you all could be here to meet them because when I get home, having to find the words to explain and convey my time with them will be impossible. I was reminded of how much more beautiful and meaningful an experience shared is, when one of the friends I made here, Ryan, joined me at work the last few weeks. While I did hair for the women, he did some amazing photography and filming of them [which I can't for you all to see by the way]. It was so nice at the end of the day to have shared that day with someone from the outside, who I could talk about it with, who had now met, understood and grew to love these women and their children.
Something random but so relevant at the same time...God has really put on my heart the men in my life, which includes all of you reading this. When I hear second hand the stories these women speak about their pasts, and the horrible examples they've had of a father, a husband, a brother, a guy friend...rarely have these been men who've loved or empowered them. My heart breaks when I see how these abusive relationships have effected their lives, their views of people and the world overall. To even see how they shutter when a/any man walks in the room is so sad. Though I'll never understand, I try to put myself in their place and identify with their heartache to some degree. Experiences like this draw me to think of the men in my own life. Unfortunately, I haven't had the most positive of relationships and even recently; because of this, I feared guys and didn't know how to relate to them believe it or not. It was in these thoughts, that I realized too, that me to its these last two years of my time at IC that I've learned to trust others, especially guys. I remember feeling/being so awkward at being in a house full of guys and how again and again, I was only shown the most rare and extraordinary examples of brotherly love. In our community today, I could tear up at the way I am loved, cherished and respected by all of you. That kind of love changed my life...
Even coming here, my friend Ryan and my boss Jared have shown me love in a selfless, brotherly, Christ-like way. More and more the philosophy that Jared speaks of and exemplifies is the belief that we as human beings we were meant for unity, for family and interdependence. KEZA's tag line is, "Where they becomes we" That neither gender, nor race, religion and every other differences that separates us, shall not. That we are image barers of our creator [thank you Rob Bell] and no one should be treated as less or insignificant. That we as a family, a race of human beings, can empower and spur on one another. In researching projects and organizations targeted towards empowering women, so rarely will I see men included in that. Men need to be targeted just as much! Neither can function without the other. That if this belief was truly embraced, men today would be brought up to set examples to younger men by loving and empowering the women and girls in their lives now. The women in your life need men like you, the men I've had such an honor and privilege of knowing, to love them and show them Christ.
I probably won't write again until I am home. If you think to pray for me, I'll be squeezing in a visit to Kampala and Goma before I leave to research salons/beauty schools.


No comments:
Post a Comment