It has been strange to be back. No matter what the crazy circumstance I feel…peace. It may not be necessary happiness and glee but it’s peace. Over and over again, miracle after miracle propelled me forward to this time so I am never in doubt if I should be here. When I first arrived, it was several days of hanging out in Kampala. Truly, there are only so many times you can go to Garden City I might add. We all bonded, cramped together in our small hut with two tiny twin beds, hahaha. By the fourth day in Kampala, I was told my bags were "theoretically" [aka on African time] coming on that night’s flight. I went to the airport with Nelly and waited, simply because I wanted to be there the second they arrived so they didn’t have the opportunity to get lost again. At one point a Ugandan woman at the hostel we were staying at asked why I had been wearing the same outfit everyday. You know its bad when that happens! The bus ride to Kigali was of course epic as I remember and all too beautiful. At one point I gasped because in the valleys of these rolling hills was this majestic fog. It was breath-taking.
As we crossed the border, tears welled up in my eyes. It’s so amazing to cross over a country border. We arrived to the bustle of the bus park. Ilea arrived with taxi’s and we were on our way to our **new** home!!!
That was another ironic moment…this is the Remba house for the next year!!! Signing a lease, paying the rest of the rent…it was definitely strange. I walked through and was just awe-struck at how perfect it was. 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, dining room, living room, kitchen, staff housing, a vegetable garden, and so forth. Seth, our amazing photographer, made a stop motion clip tour of our house at http://www.sethmjohnson.blogspot.com/
Getting settled in and beginning the process of what these competitions will look like has been overwhelming but exciting, being that I have envisioned over and over again what that will look like. So many people have asked us why the competitions but it came as an enthusiastic suggestion from the community of stylists I was able to interview last summer. More details to come.
My favorite moment thus far was going back for the first time to the training facility where the women of Buranga work. These women captured my heart last year. Many of them had been asking where I was and when I was coming back. Over and over again, I was told I needed to go and surprise them. I’ve seriously dreamt about seeing them again, and what that moment would be like. I made them a promise and I try with every mean to be a woman of my word. I took off early from a meeting simply to see them. I walked in the gate of their working facility and screams erupted from all around. Before I knew what was happening, I was in a "Beautiful Rwandan Woman Sandwich" from all sides, being kissed, hugged and screamed at. The tighter they squeezed me, the more tears came out of my eyes. I couldn’t help it. They begin to cry too! It was the most glorious moment. I got a hug and kiss and exclamation of, “We love you and missed you!” It was seriously one of thee happiest moments of my life. It was pure magic; I LOVE these women with all my heart.
Oh, if you don’t know of our KEZA Fashion Director and my best friend Vanessa is rocking it here! I CANNOT wait for you all to see the new products she’s been designing for Buranga! BEAUTIFUL!
I have realized and been learning that so often we come in with our American agendas and deadlines rather than the openness to follow what Rwandans have in mind and what will best serve the industry in making it a more sustainable and lucrative career for both the established and aspiring stylist. I never knew until coming to Kigali that a beauty academy was needed, and even more so wanted. Hearing the input, dreams and ideas from the local community of stylists here has directed all that I have been working on. I understand as well that things may not pan out the way I, Rachel, envision or run on the timeline that I have in mind but as long as it takes, I want to do what will best serve these amazing men and women in giving them the ownership and opportunities they deserve. I am simply excited to share my resources and connections with the most brilliant, beautiful and talented of individuals.
Did I mention with the new branch of the Rwandan Government, the Rwanda Development Board [RDB] is bringing on KEZA?! This has more info to come but I was rejoicing because this entails my work visa!!! There is nothing that makes it more exciting and real than receiving that. More to come on that :)
Can I say that I am absolutely in love with my team? It couldn’t be more perfect put together and I know it's only the beginning but I am in serious awe at how we all complement and fit together.
Amanda is literally the fuel of Remba right now; I could not be here and attempting all that I am without her. She has done amazing with PR thus far and is an incredible partner and assistant. Her and I met back at Paul Mitchell and have remained good friends ever since. We first were together abroad in Uganda back in 2007. It was then that we realized how well we work and travel together. She is one of the most intelligent, logistically minded and well spoken of women I’ve met. Her strengths fall in all the areas of my weaknesses and we work perfectly together. She is always peaceful; never I see her stressed out or upset. I always tell her I am sure if I punched her in the face, she wouldn’t be fazed. I was so impressed when I arrived in Kigali to find she had already taken care of the basic essentials for the house and worked out all the finances. I consider it such a privilege to have her first as friend as well as Remba’s honor to have her working on this.
Seth Johnson is a stunning and talented photographer. I love seeing what he’s captured at the end of the day. Though Seth is more on the quiet side, I feel I am in constant anticipation of his wise input, opinions and witty one-liners. He is a gem; definitely one of the most solid men of integrity that I have met thus far. If ever you get the privilege of meeting him you’ll see what I mean. He and Ricky are the perfect duo; and are such a privilege to have on board. I couldn’t express my gratitude enough to them for their hard work and presence here.
Ricky Norris cannot be summed up. From the beginning of praying about a team to take back to Rwanda, and through much prayer, he was one of the first people it was certain that I needed to ask to come along on this trip. After asking him, I was told over and over again what a talented cinematographer he was, and at that point I hadn't seen his work. Since then, I've been blown away with every little thing he’s captured and produced. He definitely another amazing and solid dude. He keeps us rolling with his crazy sarcasm. I might add he is one of the most aware of guys; he knows if you’re feeling a little down. I appreciate that he can see through trying to hide it and will ask you if he can help. He also one of the most affirmative of guys; he knows just what to say and how to encourage us as individuals and as a whole.
Nelly [or Natalie] Warne is Ricky and Seth’s Productions assistant as well as my literal sunshine. No matter what mood I am in, she can make me forget all my frustrations, cheer me up and make me laugh. I loved sharing a room with her, not to mention a bed, for the first week with all the giggling and pillow talk. This girl is beyond her years in wisdom. She endlessly and cheerfully gives to and loves all those she meets. She is a woman of character and driven to no end. Again, I am constantly impressed with her. I love watching her and Ricky work away together and watching him teach her, as she wants to be a cinematographer someday too.
There are a few other KEZA interns I am getting to know still but one of them living with us is the beautiful Erin Griffin. I met her on tour with Invisible Children in Texas and was reconnected with her through David Lewis of Falling Whistles. I LOOOOOVVVEEE this girl!!!!! She is HILARIOUS. If you want a great story teller who will make you pee your pants laughing, she is your girl. Not to mention she is the cutest blonde you've ever met in your life and can charm her way into your heart instantly. We call her "Grandma" at times so if you read a reference to that, that's who we're talking about. More Erin stories to come.
Can I just say, I love that we all eat dinner together every night?! I look forward to it everyday.
I could not be here in Rwanda without my amazing Remba Stateside Reps, Cortney, Jenna and Claire. These girls are my angels and saving grace. Pleeeeaase be praying for them and send them your love on facebook. Remba could really use the help with fundraising if you're interested!!!
To the beautiful Stephanie Kocielski - I absolutely could not be here without you! This woman has been my good friend and mentor the past two years and was so generous and gracious to buy me my plane ticket here. I owe this woman the world.
Finally, Alexis, our beautiful and amazing Director of Education will be here July 25th and I cannot wait!!!!! Send her some love and funds on facebook under Alexis Blackmon and alexisinrwanda.blogspot.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
you're so beautiful. i love you and i'm glad you're home.
Post a Comment