Where to start or what to even say...
No adventure would be quite the adventure that’s been without the insane beginning…
I was dropped off at LAX with more than two hours to spare before my flight. I felt so relieved and happy to finally be in the airport. After nearly a year of preparation for Remba, it was finally coming to fruition. I have no idea if my every reader believes in a higher power but it was most definitely something I couldn’t deny after this year. My faith in God has always been strong but has grown immensely through seeing the miracles He’s done again and again one after the other. Yes, it been one of the hardest things I’ve ever done but none of what’s come to be would be without Him. I feel so privileged to be apart of this and have envisioned endlessly the summer before me.
As I stood in line, I had this thought of, “Well God, aside from still needing money, you’ve confirmed my going to Rwanda over and over again this year in every way, shape and form. Here is a final test of if you want me on this plane. If you don’t, I surrender to that. Please stop me here if I am not supposed to go.” As soon as those words passed through my mind, I went up to the self-check in kiosk and it in fact, did NOT have my itinerary. I then proceeded to the ticketing counter to this American Airline ticketing agent began to assist me. Not only were both my bags overweight resulting in overweight fees for both but he took one look at itinerary, and asked me what I’d be doing in Uganda and Rwanda. I answered and he switched into this CIA-agent-like mode and said,
“Well ma'am, I need documentation from the Rwandan and Ugandan government stating what you are doing there. If you cannot provide this, as far as American Airlines is concerned, you having a one-way ticket categorizes you a terrorist and we cannot let you onto this flight. You need a round trip ticket proving you will be returning to the U.S. You have exactly 20 minutes before it’s too late for you to board your flight so you have one of two options. I could sell you a ticket for more than three years of your college education cost you or you can get documentation from the Rwandan and Ugandan government in the next 20 minutes to prove what you’ll be doing there and why I should let you on this flight.”
I stared at him in utter shock; not only was I shaking but trying to figure what I could even do in that little bit of time. I was sure this was God telling me I wasn't supposed to go. He then told me to meet him back in front with my final decision at 7:25am, and not to wait in line, which gave me a little less than 20 minutes at that point. I felt the same kind of panic like I was in a movie, and was just told my family would be killed or something if I didn’t figure out how to save the world. I immediately got on the phone with Ilea, who’s in Rwanda, and tried to explain without bursting into tears. Within 10 minutes, and a lot of back and forth phone calls, her and Jared immediately had their travel agent from New York book me a ticket to complete and make it round trip. I got all the necessary information, raced up to the front and waited for the agent to return. I thought for sure this time I had this thing beat. He didn’t return until 7:30 and my flight to JFK was leaving at 8:30am. I gave him the confirmation # of my new ticket and again, he said it was no good if it was not a American Airline booked flight as he could not access it and the travel agency would have to fax it if he was going to send my bags through and issue me a boarding pass and all those things I was running out of time for.
A crazy series of event followed
I called the travel agency and had them fax the itinerary of the new ticket to American Airlines’ fax number. Five FREAKIN' times and the fax number didn’t work. The agent had gone clear across the airport to retrieve the itinerary and it was not there.
He came back and told me I was out of time. I called again and had them do it – they had ONE number in the fax number wrong and sent it through again and it worked. He then called the office to make sure the itinerary had arrived. He booked my bags through and issued me my boarding pass and told me to run. He told me he’d meet me at my gate with the new itinerary so if I was questioned by customs in any other country, I’d be okay.
I rushed to security with 1) being told I had to get rid one of my carry on’s as I was only allowed 2, not 3. I stuffed as much as I could into my other bags and threw my third bag away completely as I was that desperate to get through.
I then waited in the world’s longest security line, which took 10 minutes before it even moved. By the time I got to the front, they decided to run my things TWICE because I had two laptops and one of our cinematographer's cameras. I ran to my gate, only to see that I had MISSED MY FLIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The agent was standing there, baffled that this was happening. After all we’d both been through that morning, we were going to make sure I made my flights while also following the legal procedure that American Airlines had. It was not in this agent’s agenda to make me miss my flights but to follow procedure, and it was simply not within in his control to let me on that plane. I also had had no idea that a one-way ticket would result in such a fiasco and hope this is warning to all of you!
He finally rushed me downstairs, rerouted me through Chicago, issued a new boarding pass, bypassed me through security and sent me on my way. I rushed to my gate and MADE IT!!!! I cried as soon as I sat down and the plane took off. So clearly, I could feel God smiling and say, “Just wanted you to know once again Rach where I want you and that I am in control. I love you.”
Everything else went smoothly, aside from the fact that my bags did not make it. I am here in Uganda and will be waiting on my bags for who knows how long but I am happy to be here.
I was happy to arrive to an anxious and happy Ricky, Seth and Natalie. We all can’t wait to be in RWANDA!!!!!!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment